Bitte aktivieren Sie JavaScript, um diese Seite zu verwenden.

Sweeteners are toxic to dogs!

Do you want to get updated about the latest topics regarding your pet's health? Download the PetLEO App for free and get informed about everything that matters for your pet. Download now

FDA (Food and Drug Administration) warns that common sweeteners such as xylitol are poisonous for dogs.

We all know that chocolate is harmful to our dogs but our knowledge is less about other sweet products. The reason for this is that there are many types of sweeteners. Although some of the sweeteners are of plant origin (e.g. Stevia), some are artificially produced in laboratories. Although many sweeteners cause only gastrointestinal (food precessing) problems in dogs, xylitol might be lethal (1).

With the increase in sweetener-containing products in the supermarkets, xylitol poisoning may expose more frequently in the following years.

Inhalt

What is Xylitol?

Xylitol, also called xylit, is a sweetener. It is often used in industry instead of sugar. In the ingredients, it is mostly called only “E 967”. In contrast to sugar, the sweetener does not have such a strong effect on blood sugar levels and is therefore preferred by diabetics. Another positive effect is the anti-caries effect.

While the it has many positive effects on us, xylitol is poisonous to dogs.

 

Which products contain Xylitol?

Xylitol is most commonly used in chewing gum. Since it has lower calories than sugar, it is also used to sweeten various sugar-free products. These products are:

 

Also, it can be found not only in food but also in products such as face creams, wet wipes, and deodorants.

Why is Xylitol harmful to dogs?

In humans, high amounts of xylitol intake can only cause problems in the digestive system, but for dogs even as low as 0.1 mg/kg can be fatal. xylitol is not only harmful to dogs, but also for other animals like rabbits.

In dogs, xylitol is stimulating insulin release, causing blood sugar to fall, and high amounts of xylitol intake can damage the liver. Because of untreated low blood sugar, liver failure may occur 1-3 days after consumption of xylitol, as well as death due to decreased blood sugar.

What are the symptoms?

Typical symptoms can occur within 30 minutes of xylitol contained food intake. However, depending on the type of food, it may take up to 48 hours for the following symptoms to occur:

 

 

What kind of treatment does my dog get?

Your veterinarian will treat your dog according to the symptoms. Each physician has their own treatment method. If your dog has consumed xylitol over 0.1 g/kg, it is recommended to be hospitalized. You should, therefore, contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.

If your dog does not show any clinical symptoms, your veterinarian may wash its stomach by making it vomit followed by activated charcoal. However, in case your dog is unconscious, the following parameters of your pet should be checked regularly:

If your dog develops severe anemia (bloodlessness), a whole blood transfusion may be needed.

Conclusion

Just because it is good for us doesn’t mean it is good for our dogs.

Please always check the ingredients before sharing your food with your dog, especially with sweet foods.

Do not try to treat your dog yourself without consulting your veterinarian.

References

1 – https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/stevia

2 – Murphy, Lisa A., and Adrienne E. Coleman. “Xylitol toxicosis in dogs.” Veterinary Clinics: Small Animal Practice 42.2 (2012): 307-312.

 

Download now

Author

Fulya S.
Fulya is Co-Founder and a Veterinarian at PetLEO. Besides her Ph.D. and her work at Tierklinik Ismaning, she supports PetLEO with all her power and expertise.

Tags

PoisoningSweetenerToxicXylitol

Care to Share?

Facebook WhatsAppTwitterEmail

Related articles

Health - May/20/ 2019 20.05.2019 - 5 min

Is chocolate really a key of happiness? It may be for us! However, it is extremely dangerous for our four-legged friends! (more…)

Health - May/16/ 2019 16.05.2019 - 5 min

Nowadays, the poison baits are mostly used against the rodents such as rats, mice or moles; which are harmful to the farming areas. These baits are called rodenticides, which actually means rodent killers. 

(more…)

Health - May/9/ 2019 09.05.2019 - 5 min

Do you know what to do if you think your dog or cat is get poisoned? With this 6 steps you can save your 4-legged friend’s life! (more…)

Einfach Gefahren finden
Like it?
Download PetLEO for free
Play Store App Store
Einfach Gefahren finden
Made with love in Germany Germany